Well we made, it is the last day of the 12 days of Krafting, the last day of winter break. Tomorrow its back to school, back to work, back to the same old routine.
But don’t fret we still have one more day left for fun activities. Today’s Activity is one of the participants favourite, CUP CAKES.
Since we are a Non-profit program we don’t always have the budget for lavish snacks, sometimes we have to get inventive with the donated items that are given to us. Once a month we have Birthday day. Which is a monthly celebration of all the birthdays for the month where we have cake or cookies or ice cream or all three depending on what donations we had received. Birthday Day was upon us and we didn’t really get any donations that would work for a Treat. That is when the Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe (listed below) was first used. It uses up staples in our cupboards like flour and sugar and vinegar and doesn’t need costly perishables like eggs or milk. It is a tasty chocolate cake that the kids love to eat and love to help make too.
- One batch of Vegan Chocolate Cake(in cake form or cupcake form)
- icing (store bought or home made)*
- Sprinkles, candies, chocolates etc for decorations
The directions for this activity are simple, Make the cake, put the icing on top, sprinkle with the sprinkles, then Eat!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl
- Make 3 holes in dry ingredients – two small, one larger
- Pour vinegar in one hole, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in largest hole
- Pour water in all over
- Mix until smooth
- Pour into a greased 8″ cake pan or 12 paper lined muffin cups**
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes (20 for the cup cakes)
- Stick a toothpick in, if it comes out clean it is done.
- Cool, then top with your icing and sprinkles
* If you would like to make the cake totally Vegan, many pre-made store icings are vegan just check the ingredients.
**The recipe might make a little less then 12 cupcakes, and it does not rise much so you can fill the batter right to the top.